What's Inside

The theological ramblings of a simple man.

Wisdom

Because God is never cruel, there is a reason for all things. We must know the pain of loss; because if we never knew it, we would have no compassion for others, and we would become monsters of self-regard, creatures of unalloyed self-interest. The terrible pain of loss teaches humility to our prideful kind, has the power to soften uncaring hearts, to make a better person of a good one.

Dean Koontz



"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Jeremiah 29:11

Love God, Love others...
Take time to listen
311
Ben Folds
The Beatles
Blindside
Bob Marley
Coldplay
Collective Soul
David Crowder Band
Delirious?
Fold Zandura
Hillsong United
Jars of Clay
Jeremy Camp
Keith Green
Kutless
Linkin Park
MG! The Visionary
MxPx
Newsboys
Pearl Jam
Pedro the Lion
Pigeon John
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Spoken
Steve Taylor
Switchfoot
Thousand Foot Krutch
TobyMac
U2
Victor Wooten
Weezer
The Who
Wyclef Jean
Learn, Live, Love, Laugh
Rob Bell
C.S. Lewis
Erwin McManus
Frank Peretti
Home
Lake City Community Church Coeur d'Alene
Real Life on the Palouse Moscow/Pullman
Time Zone Boise
Agape Christian Worship Center Boise
River of Life Community Church Sioux Falls
Marysville Church of the Nazarene Marysville
Get Involved
Monday, September 11, 2006
Yet This I Call to Mind
Five year ago, along with most of the nation, I watched as the devestation in New York City unfolded. Like many others my first thought was, "pray for America."

Why is it that the same force that leads some to kneel in prayer will drive others to blow up buildings?

2500 years ago, the prophet Jeremiah overlooked the fallen city of Jeruselem after it had been destroyed by Babylonian armies. "The Lord has done what He planned...He has overthrown you without pity, He has let the enemy gloat over you." (Lam. 2:17) So much of Jeremiah's lament sounds familiar today.

Iraqi press called 9/11 our punishment from God. But I believe God was with those who escaped before the buildings fell. He was with those who sacrifice their lives to save people trapped inside the towers, and with the thousands of volunteers involved with the recovery efforts with those who escaped before the buildings fell. And much like those firefighters and rescue workers, Jeremiah had many of the same thoughts. Why?

I can imagine hearing a New York resident saying the same words spoken in Lamentations while overlooking ground zero, "I have been deprived of peace...My splendor is gone...I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall. I remember them
and my soul is downcast with in me." (Lam. 3:15-16)

We will always remember what happened that September morning. Those images of plane crashes and collapsing buildings will always be a part of our memories. But life must go on. And if we continue in faith, we will be stronger and more confident in our victory than ever before. "Though He slay me, yet will I hope in Him...Indeed, this will turn out for my deliverence." (Job 13:15-16)

So how do we cope? How did Jeremiah cope with the destruction of the city he loved? "Yet this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning. Great is Your faithfulness." (Lam. 3:21-23)

Despite the attacks on the world trade center and the pentagon, despite the war and continuing attacks around the world, we have hope. We are still one nation under God. His love never fails.
posted by nic @ 12:32 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: nic
Home: Newman Lake, Washington, United States
About Me: Nerd. Father. Pluviophile. Writer @ The Faithful Geek. Farmer @ Heartsong Meadow. Deconstructed Jesus follower. Lactose intolerant lover of cheese. Exploring faith where parenting, politics, and pop culture meet.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER